Sunday, April 25, 2010

Tears

I saw a quote somewhere around Facebook that said, "Tears are the words the heart can't express." I think maybe the writer of the quote meant it to be about crying from sadness, which I can see, but I also think it can be taken differently, too.

Reader, I'm the kind of person who really hates hiding her emotions. I prefer to be open with others, not hiding behind some sort of veil. I don't like to hold back how I feel, but sometimes when I feel strongly, I end up in tears. Examples:

1. If I laugh too hard I definitely end up crying. Possibly the silliest situation because I have absolutely no control over it!
2. If I become angry and upset I may start to tear up.
3. If I witness something sorrowful, whether it be a video, song, or scene that strikes a chord with me, a few tears may roll down my cheeks.
4. If I am overcome with an intense feeling of longing, i.e. wishing Jesus would come back or wishing that people would know God, I might tear up a bit.
5. If I feel overcome with joy, I might start to cry. It just happens.

In these situations, and others, the emotions are so intense that I cannot find words to express them. I suppose tears work well, then, to express the feelings in my heart that I cannot alone.

Do I like to cry? Do I force myself to cry? No. It just happens, and I'd rather let it happen than try to keep it bottled up inside. Of course, walking around a public place like a school makes it rather difficult, because many times you are automatically judged for being so emotional. Those are the times when I end up saving moments in my head to revisit on my own time, in the car or in my room or in some other place.

Ultimately, though, God says that in Heaven, He will wipe away every tear from our eyes. So even if/when I do cry out of joy when I go to Heaven, He will be there to brush them away and tell me, "I know what you are feeling, daughter. Welcome home."

No comments:

Post a Comment