Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Against versus with the wind

I started thinking about this while spending a morning outdoors in silence about a month ago, watching the morning sun reflect off the waves on Lake Michigan, feeling the winter wind blowing wildly around me.

Think about the wind. Imagine it whipping your hair and snapping your clothes around your body with its chilling force, pushing you to throw your hood up and brace yourself against it. Imagine it taking your breath away and urging you to walk in the direction of its force rather than in the opposite direction. Now imagine trying to walk against that wind. It's a lot harder, isn't it? It's cold, it's rough, it's somewhat bitter and painful. Even though you struggle against it to get to where you want to go, it isn't a pleasant walk.

Sometimes I think we try to go against the wind in our lives. I know I do a lot. We go against what God wants us to do because we know what we want and we want to get it in our own way. We push and brace ourselves past God's whispers and warnings so we can get what we want right now, even if it's not what's best for us. But God knows us so much better than ourselves, and He longs for us to continuously give our lives and everything about them over to Him so that He can make the most beautiful work of art from them, placing you where He wants you when He wants you to be there.

Of course the metaphor breaks down in all sorts of places, but while sitting amidst the wind and the waves I was reminded, dear reader, of how often I try to do things in my own strength against the wind, how often everyone tries to do that. Granted the path following the direction of the wind, the path with God, is definitely marked with its own trials. But it's backed by His will and power, and that makes all the difference.

PS: For those of you who followed my past blog posts...I am going to Costa Rica this summer. Long story short, God is good and always provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment