Thursday, August 19, 2010

A vision for Generation Y

I finished reading it a while ago, but in any case I suggest that you read My Generation by Josh Riebock. Seriously, it's a good book. Anyways....because that previous comment doesn't fully relate to what I want to write about. Although it does have a small bit of pertinence.

I see great potential in the generation I am living in, which is to say the current middle school kids on through people in their late twenties. Seriously, I have met people who have been changed by God and I have seen people be changed by Him. I have seen fires lit from within. I feel my own burning within me.

All that needs to happen now is for each small fire to catch onto all of the other small fires and turn into one consuming blaze.

I have a dream that stems from Hillsong's song "Hosanna." It goes like this:

"I see a generation/Rising up to take their place/With selfless faith, selfless faith/I see a near revival/Stirring as we pray and seek/We're on our knees, we're on our knees."

My dream is for each and every child of God to recognize that the revival starts with us. We can't just keep waiting for a better time or for the right time, because that will never come. Christ has already sent us out into the world with the command to go and make disciples of all nations, helping them open their hearts to the love that God has for them and helping them walk into a life with Him!

Know what else? War is not inevitable. They say that of course war will always happen, because people have different ideas. But you know what? Having different ideas doesn't lead to war! Even if Person A and Person B despise each other and the ideas the other has, this doesn't lead to war! If neither Person A nor Person B actually want to go to war, then no war will happen. They will live in disagreement with each other, knowing that even though they dislike each other, they also dislike war, and wouldn't dare risk their values over a disagreement between people.

And you know what else? Hunger, homelessness, and widespread disease are not inevitable, either. But until you visit a country with significantly less than what you are living in, you might not realize this. I have seen people living with half of what I have, maybe less, who get along perfectly content, and who give to the people living in tents in the slums. Don't you think that, if we humbled ourselves and gave away more of what we have than we might feel comfortable with, we could provide homes for those out on the streets, or food for those who don't eat every day, or medication for those who suffer from easily-treatable diseases?

Another book recommendation: Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder.

Okay, end of rant for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment